[lvs-users] ldirectord sometimes stops balancing/counting connections af

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] ldirectord sometimes stops balancing/counting connections after some time
From: "Samy Ascha | Xel Media B.V." <samy@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:19:56 +0200
Dear members,

I joined the list today, cuz I'm having some issues with ldirectord and cannot
find any related information through Google etc.

I've been playing with linux-ha for some years now and today, for the second
time, I noticed ldirectord stops balancing connection across cluster-nodes.

I have a simple test setup with heartbeat3, pacemaker, ldirectord/ipvs. Plus 2
cluster-nodes running Apache. What happens is the following:

Cluster is working very nicely, balancing request, using 'wlc', and i check:
ipvsadm -L -n. No problems with heartbeat + crm what-so-ever. It shows
perfectly balanced connection counts. Sometimes, after some minutes/hours I
start refreshing my test-pages (just to see how cool linux-ha is) and notice
I'm stuck at a single cluster-node. Everything is up, ldirectord check-requests
are added to the webserver logs as '200 OK', all seems ok, but the second node
of the 2-node cluster is never used.

At this point, monitoring with ipvsadm shows no updates to connection counts
and I have to either restart the heartbeat service or switch to the failover
balancer. After the switch things always work fine.

I cannot seem to find any useful info in logs and it seems that no errors or
warnings are reported.

My questions:

* Have any of you experienced the issue where ldirectord stops balancing
reqeusts after working fine for some time?

* If so, were there any traces of this failure in logs / command output, which
I can use as a starting point in drilling down to the cause?

I'll be happy to supply configs / command output if needed.

Setup details:

* Complete setup inside VMWare ESX 4.1 (the free version)
* 2x Ubuntu Lucid (LTS) active/passive loadbalancers, with heartbeat+pacemaker,
with resources: IPAddr and ldirectord
* 2x Ubuntu Lucid (LTS) Apache webserver, failover-ip added on lo:0

I can give more details, but can't think of anything now ;)

Thx very much! Hope to hear from you soon. I can't wait to introduce linux-ha
in our critical systems and realy need this thing cleared up before we do ;)

Kind regards,
Samy Ascha