[lvs-users] WLC Slow start for 2.6.x kernel

To: Aleksey Chudov <aleksey.chudov@xxxxxxxxx>, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] WLC Slow start for 2.6.x kernel
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Krzysztof Wilczynski <krzysztof.wilczynski@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:08:09 +0100
Hello,

[...]
> > It will be difficult because I'm not C/C++ programmer.
> > Could you please port this patch to 2.6 kernel?
>
> Sure, I will try and find some time to up-port the patch.
[...]

I took Simon's patch and made an attempt to forward-port onto 2.6 and
latest 3.0.x (working mainly with "ipvs-next" and "net-next" trees):

https://github.com/kwilczynski/miscellaneous/blob/master/ipvs-thundering-herd-2.6.patch
https://github.com/kwilczynski/miscellaneous/blob/master/ipvs-thundering-herd-3.0.patch

Making sure that it holds water in my test environment / set-up.
Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to test this under a real
life load and/or in a network / system that was suffering from the
problem that this patch is trying to address. I other words, my
notebook solely is not enough to see real benefit of the slow-start
introduced by the patch, since it will reach limit of its capacity
long before I am able to create enough congestion to spot the
difference in a statistically significant manner.

Therefore, would you help me Aleksey and test it for me? :-) I am
asking for your assistance, since you requested the forward-port in
the first place, therefore you are probably the person whom will
benefit from it the most.

Hopefully, everything will work as it says on the tin, and if so, then
we can start working on merging this with upstream kernel and exposing
ability to toggle this functionality on-demand via /proc and/or /sys
entries per algorithm.

Thanks for help in advance! :)

KW