[lvs-users] Persistence, Failover, and a PFSense Router.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Persistence, Failover, and a PFSense Router.
From: Matthew Smart <msmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:49:22 -0600
Hey guys,
I know that this is a question that will need to be directed to the
PFSense router team but I was hoping I could get some information on the
issue from you guys first to help narrow down the cause. So here goes.

I have a basic LVS-DR balancing ports 80 and 443 between two real
servers using weighted round robin with persistence engaged. In the
event of a real server crash ipvsadm shows that the failed server's
weight is now 0 and if I hit the the VIP from my LAN my request is
routed to the remaining server without issue.

The problem arises when I perform a failover test using the WAN IP that
I have routing to the VIP using NAT. In this case, the request is still
trying to be routed to the crashed server. I came across this patch that
addressed the issue in LVS itself.
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.persistent_connection.html#new_persistence

What I am wondering is if you can give me some idea for how that patch
fixed the issue so I can convey the information to PFSense and see if
they have a mechanism I can trigger manually to achieve the same effect?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

--
Matthew Smart
President