[lvs-users] setting weight to 0 (no persistence!), but still new connect

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] setting weight to 0 (no persistence!), but still new connections
From: <Tim.Einmahl@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:47:06 +0200
Hi all,

we have been using lvs in production with redhat rhel5 with direct routing
successfully for years now.
Maintenance of server was no problem, because setting the weight to 0 avoided
new connections and we only had to wait
for the current tcp-sessions to end on the maintained server.

But with our new rhel6-cluster we are having most of the time the problem that
still new http-connections
are being directed to the server that has a weight of 0, although we don't use
persistent connections and there is no
keepalive enabled in httpd.conf, so each tcp-connection ends after very short
time.

config:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.0.1:http wlc
  -> lxweb1-stage:http     Local   1      0          0
  -> lxweb2-stage:http     Route   1      0          0

Running stress test with ab from another server:
ab -n 600000  -c 30 http://192.168.0.1/

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.0.1:http wlc
  -> lxweb1-stage:http     Local   1      12         14323
  -> lxweb2-stage:http     Route   1      10         13868

setting weight to 0:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.0.1:http wlc
  -> lxweb1-stage:http     Local   0      7          14317
  -> lxweb2-stage:http     Route   1      13         13888

a few minutes minutes later:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.0.1:http wlc
  -> lxweb1-stage:http     Local   0      12         14304
  -> lxweb2-stage:http     Route   1      8          13902

Running ipvsadm -Lnc | grep -v FIN_WAIT shows, that there are only a few
established connections
and some SYN_RECV. Repeating this command after a few seconds also makes clear,
that there are no ports
being reused from the ESTABLISHED-connections. So I have no idea why there are
still active connections on the
server with weight 0.

Any hint is appreciated
Thanks very much for your effort