Re: [lvs-users] Reasonable(?) Performance of LVS-NAT

To: David Coulson <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Reasonable(?) Performance of LVS-NAT
From: daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:28:29 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 23 May 2013, David Coulson wrote:

>> and the problem did not appear to go away.  The traffic through the
>> director was extremely sluggish, so I failed back to having 'gro off',
>> shrug...
> Did it get worse, or just no better?

Sorry, I was not very clear with my statement.  I meant was that the old
bug of very poor / terrible performance still existed when GRO was on.
Turning if off leads to reasonable performance that I can live with :)

> Are you able to do iptables NAT instead to see if that makes a
> difference,

Sorry, ignorance is biting me here and I am not sure what you mean.  I
thought iptables was necessary to make LVS-NAT work in the first place.

> or perhaps put a http proxy in the middle?

I do have other services in the mix than http, but I could try that.

> If nothing else, just as a test. What about going direct to a http
> server - Does that have better throughput?

Yeah, I can get gigabit transfer rates direct from a real server and
via the LVS-NAT for a single file on a single connection.

The LVS director seems to be maxing out around 50,000 packets per second
based on sar output.

Thanks for the help!

daryl