[lvs-users] TCP Retransmissions?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] TCP Retransmissions?
From: housey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:55:31 +0100
Hi

Ive been looking into LVS to help balance load amongst some SMTP
servers.

I have set up a test LVS system in front of 3 real SMTP servers.

I'm using direct routing and have used the iptables method on all 3
real servers to overcome any arp issues

i.e. iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d <vip> --dport 25 -j
REDIRECT

My testing seems to be going well and I can see traffic being balanced
between the 3 servers, however I ran tcpdump on the lvs server just to
look at the traffic and noticed im getting lots of TCP Retransmission
and some TCP Dup ACK's

I ran tcpdump on a normal SMTP server and don't see anywhere near as
many.

Can someone lend me their experience and advise if this something I
need to worry about and investigate further?

Thanks

Paul