Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord question

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord question
From: Anders Henke <anders.henke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:37:13 +0200
By using connection synchronization (ipvsadm --start-daemon), you can do the
very same for a loadbalancer like what firewalls do for moving TCP states
between failover pairs: your "active" loadbalancer does periodically send a
list of currently known connections to your backup loadbalancer, who in order
creates corresponding state entries.

If the primary loadbalancer fails and your backup loadbalancer kicks in, it's
aware of almost all states known at the failed loadbalancer. The backup
loadbalancer may continue where the broken loadbalancer did leave off.

However, this doesn't help with your original question: if the actual endpoint
of your tcp connection dies (your realserver), there's nothing else then trying
to re-establish a new connection.

Best,
Anders

On 20.06.2014, Ilo Lorusso wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback,
>
> Once we have scheduled new connections to the new real server and we have
> this existing connection  using quiescence ,
>
> Why can't we move that existing connection to another real server ?
>
> I know firewalls can move existing connections and TCP states between
> failover pairs

1&1 Internet AG              Expert Systems Architect (IT Operations)
Brauerstrasse 50             v://49.721.91374.0
D-76135 Karlsruhe            f://49.721.91374.225

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
Vorstand: Ralph Dommermuth, Frank Einhellinger, Robert Hoffmann,
Andreas Hofmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Uwe Lamnek,
Jan Oetjen, Christian Würst