[lvs-users] Upgraded my Load Balancers, Performance Went to Sh*t

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] Upgraded my Load Balancers, Performance Went to Sh*t
From: Eric Robinson <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:47:27 +0000
Formerly both of my load balancers were running RHEL 5.2 and everything has
been awesome for years. I reformatted them and installed RHEL 6.3 (because
that's what's on the rest of my servers) and now we're seeing application
pauses and freezes. If we bypass the load balancer and point the client
application directly  at one of the tomcat servers, it performs like a dream.
If we re-point the application back at the load balancer, the pauses and
freezes return.

Connectivity from the client to the load balancer is solid. Using ping -f (ping
flooding) or tcping, we can send half a million packets with zero drops and no
high latency. Likewise, connectivity from the load balancer to the tomcat
realservers is just as solid. However, we have observed TCP retransmissions in
the communication between the load balancer and the realservers, which may
correspond to application freezes.

Aside from the upgrade to RHEL 6.3, we also added two additional NICs and
enabled bonding (mode 1). The clients connect to the load balancer on bond1.
The load balancer forwards the packets to the realservers on bond0.

Is anyone aware of issues with LVS and bonding? Or problems with LVS and RHEL
6.3?

--Eric Robinson