Re: [lvs-users] FTP data port connection not closing?

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] FTP data port connection not closing?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Owain Jones <Owain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 10:17:04 +0100
Hi,

The packets seem to be dying at the router. As I can see the packets
being received on the director and the response packets being sent from
the real server.

One thing I'm thinking of, that I failed to mention earlier, is that the
router does NAT. I've placed the VIP in the DMZ, so the director should
be receiving all external packets directly. But the actual machines
themselves are in the router's LAN and being NAT'ed.

As I'm using LVS-DR, then the only thing that should be being changed in
the incoming packet is the MAC address, yes? But then, when the real
server responds, it'll have a different MAC address to the incoming
packet because it's actually a physically different machine.

So my thought is, could this MAC address mismatch be possibly confusing
the router's NATting?

I guess I could test it by rewriting the MAC address on outgoing packets
from the real server to have the MAC of the director, so that, from the
router's perspective, the LVS is entirely transparent.

Though surely, that said, the source MAC address on outgoing packets
shouldn't really matter, I'd have thought.

Regards,
Owain