Re: [lvs-users] DTLS Load balancing

To: Simon Bernard <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] DTLS Load balancing
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:17:56 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017, Simon Bernard wrote:

> Thx a lot Julian for this accurate response.
>
> Just to let you know, this is a mid/long term idea, but more I think about it
> more I like it.
> CID is still a draft. Before to go to the LVS implementation we need to have
> DTLS implementation which support DTLS CID.
>
> All of this is really new for me. I have some questions before to start.
> (newbie's questions :p)
>
> If I well understand IPVS  is a module of the linux kernel.

        Yes, there is a core module (ip_vs), modules for schedulers,
for apps (ip_vs_ftp), persistence engines (ip_vs_pe_sip).

> So the source code is directly available in the kernel repository [1] ?

        Yes but you can also use latest kernel from:

https://www.kernel.org/

        You can also read some files from the kernel sources:

# When coding:
Documentation/process/coding-style.rst
# How to send patches in raw form:
Documentation/process/email-clients.rst
Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
# The final patch should be sent to addresses specified with
# 'M' and 'L' for 'IPVS' here:
MAINTAINERS

        Knowing 'git' to create a patch is not required,
using such command to create your patch should be enough:

diff -urpN linux.orig linux

For user-space tool:

# get fresh ipvsadm sources:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/ipvsadm/ipvsadm.git

to use --pe dtls

> I should use ip_vs_pe_sip.c[2] as sample ?

        Yes. But more changes can be needed.

> I looked at internet resource for kernel development there is a lot !  Linux
> Kernel Newbies[1] seems good. Any advice about how to tests my code ? Are you
> using virtualization or something like that ?

        Yes, you can use such software. But initially you can
start with local real server and local client. IPVS supports all
4 cases:

1. local client + local real server
2. local client + remote real server (NAT)
3. remote client + local real server
4. remote client + remote real server

> Thx again for you time.
>
> [1]