Re: [lvs-users] Real server not responding back

To: Nick Wilson <vicnickw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Real server not responding back
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 14:00:35 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020, Nick Wilson wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> >> 1. If you setup a tunnel without using LVS, can you get traffic to
> traverse it and be seen departing the source (director) and and arriving at
> the target (realserver) inside the tunnel interfaces?
>
> To be honest, I don't know how to setup a tunnel without using LVS, and
> that's why LVS/IPVS as an abstraction seemed interesting to me. Do you know
> of a simple guide/tutorial I can follow for setting-up a tunnel without LVS
> to test things out? I'm guessing it will involve iptables.

        I have an old document for tunnel troubleshooting. I just added
some configuration examples including recently supported tunnel modes, HTH:

http://ja.ssi.bg/TUN-HOWTO.txt

> At the moment with LVS, VIP on the real-server is not set to the loopback
> interface but the tunl0 interface.

        It works, as long as tunl0/hidden is set to 1, if this flag is
used to stop ARP replies. Otherwise, the recommended device for VIPs
is lo.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>