LVS
lvs-devel

Re: [lvs-users] TUN setup problem (fwd)

To: Jason Stubbs <j.stubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] TUN setup problem (fwd)
Cc: LVS Devel <lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:05:19 -0700 (PDT)

for LVS-Tun you don't setup a tunnel. LVS makes its own ipip
packet and forwards it through the regular ethernet device
on the inside of the director to the tunl0 device on the
realserver.

Hi Jason,

Don't know if you're up for messing with LVS-Tun or not. The poster this morning couldn't get LVS-Tun to work because he'd set up a tunnel between the director and the realserver. He didn't need to do this because LVS creates its own ipip packet. If you hadn't read the HOWTO, it would have been reasonable to do what the poster did. It occurs to me that LVS should be letting the kernel do as much as possible, and ip_vs() should let the kernel handle the tunnelling and we should have the users set up a tunl0 device on the director. I think this would allow PMTU packets to come back from the realserver to the director too.

Anyhow just a thought