piranha announcement

To: linux-ha@xxxxxx
Subject: piranha announcement
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: wanger@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:26:24 -0400
Ok, this is the less than stellar announcement of piranha.  I want to
get this out so that people can start telling me how broke things are.
The non-gui stuff seems to be working pretty well.  The gui <-> daemon
glue seems to still have some config file corruption problems.  Please
don't start running your companies primary e-commerce site with this
stuff yet as it still needs some development work. :)

Here is the rough outline of this package.

It is based on Wensong Zhang's Linux Virtual Server (LVS) kernel routing
patch.  It includes very simple heartbeating (over ethernet only right
now) between 2 LVS nodes and has automatic fail over of all
configuration and monitoring services.  It has simple service
monitoring for the real servers used behind the LVS router (port
connection only right now).  It also has a gui tool to manage things.

These packages *should* work on RH 6.0 boxes that have a kernel running
v0.8.3 of the lvs patch.  The kernels contained in the lorax beta snap
shots should suffice for this purpose.  You won't be able to build from
sources without many of the things in lorax (namely the popt stuff).
You can get the bits on ftp://people.redhat.com/wanger/piranha

piranha-0.1.4.tar.gz
SRPMS/piranha-0.1.4-1.src.rpm
alpha/piranha-0.1.4-1.alpha.rpm
alpha/piranha-gui-0.1.4-1.alpha.rpm
alpha/piranha-docs-0.1.4-1.alpha.rpm
i386/piranha-0.1.4-1.i386.rpm
i386/piranha-gui-0.1.4-1.i386.rpm
i386/piranha-docs-0.1.4-1.i386.rpm
sparc/piranha-0.1.4-1.sparc.rpm
sparc/piranha-gui-0.1.4-1.sparc.rpm
sparc/piranha-docs-0.1.4-1.sparc.rpm

I have not tested (ok, I haven't even tried to install) the non-i386
packages, but, hey, they built cleanly.  How bad can they be? :)

Contained in the packages, you will find these important files:

/usr/sbin/lvs
/usr/sbin/nanny
/usr/sbin/pulse
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pulse

Pulse is the main, controlling daemon that is started via the SysV
style init script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/pulse.  It makes calls to lvs
which is the real controlling daemon for the LVS machine and the bit
that reads in the magic /etc/lvs.cf file.  BTW, there is a sample.cf
file in /usr/doc/piranha-0.1.4/ which shows the basic organization of
things.  For the time being, we are really only supporting the NAT (Network
Address Translation) method of routing.  nanny is the client monitoring
daemon that gets spawned off for each service being supported on each
real server.

The basic topology that needs to be used for now with this is the
following scheme:

1 primary LVS routing box (set up to masquerade) with 2 ethernet
devices, one to the "real world" and one to a private network.  (a
second LVS router to be used as a hot-standby/failover machine is
supported)

This is the machine that will have the floating real world IP(s) for
services to be load balanced (ie www.foo.bar).  It also has a floating
private IP used on the back side that is the default gateway for the
real servers.

On the private network, all the "real" servers are set up to serve web
or ftp requests and are able to masquerade through the LVS machine.
This stuff must be set up independent of the piranha stuff and piranha
will expect you to tell it about the configuration (network mostly) of
these machines.

The gui tool (piranha) is more for looks right now.  It is sort of
bound to the backend bits, but is lacking a lot of glue. :)  It also
has trouble editing the config file (ie it corrupts it pretty
regularly).  I'm mostly interested in UI feedback on it.

I realize these docs are sparse and probably quite difficult to follow.
I'll write better ones RSN.  I'm really interested in hearing what is
really broken with these things.  There are man pages for all the
pieces (except for piranha).  nanny.8 is still "under development" so
you'll have to wait for the rest of it.  I'll try to push out updated
bits tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for looking at this stuff.

Mike

Mike Wangsmo                                               Red Hat, Inc

"I've seen this before in Montana!  Its snowing, nobody lick a flag
pole" -- Peggy Hill