Re: Persistence & Cache clusters

To: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Persistence & Cache clusters
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:28:52 +0800

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Yes, the _user_ keeps the same IP during the same session. However, he is
> going to a proxy cluster which does NOT implement session persistence, so he
> gets directed to all 4 proxy servers during a single dialup session. The
> proxy servers of course come to the LVS with 4 different src ips, and the
> client gets redirected (quite correctly, from the point of the LVS) to
> multiple different servers during the same dialup session.

Sorry that I misunderstand your problem. You are talking about using
LVS to construct persistent service and working around the different
src IPs from non-persistent proxy cluster, and I am talking about
building a persistent proxy cluster.

> So what I need the netmask feature for is to work around non-persistent proxy
> clusters, as implemented by T-Online. Since T-Online is the single largest ISP
> in Germany, our customer wants a solution which works around the T-Online
> problem.

Well, why not persuade T-Online to use LVS to build their non-persistent
proxy servers into a persistent virtual proxy server? It might be easier
to solve the problem.

> If I were to add such a patch, would it get into the mainstream LVS ?

Sure, no problem, at least as an option.

Thanks,

Wensong