Re: I really can't understand it...

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: I really can't understand it...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 23:13:26 +0200
Wensong Zhang wrote:

> Ratz wrote:
> >
> > I solved my first problem with the strange tcpdump-output by applying
> > some HP-patches and configuring the loopback device in a correct way.
> >
> > ifconfig lo0:1 xxx.yyy.197.72 netmask 255.255.255.240 -arp up
> > So here shows up the next question: How important is the netmask on
> > virtual loopback? HP/UX doesn't let you give netmasks 255.255.255.255.
> >

> I don't have a HP/UX box to play now, so I am not sure whether LVS/DR
> works with real servers running HP/UX.

Not at all, but I ask you to read my other posting as a reply to Alex.
Be sure that I don't give up. I just have to get two HP machines and
I'll fight against this stange behavior.

> The netmask 255.255.255.255 is used to just make sure that there
> is route through the loopback alias interface. If you use the
> 255.255.255.240, please check the routing table of your HP/UX box,
> if there is a xxx.yyy.197.64/27 route through the loopback alias
> interface, manually remove that route.
>
> > Ok, I can at least connect to one server, SYN-ACK, but the first
> > response packet causes the connection to quit. If I try a second time,
> > Loadbalancer correctly "redirects" to the second real server but I only
> > get a SETSOCKOPT: invalid argument. I remember to have seen the same
> > thing with IRIX, but since I can't tell what is causing this error, I
> > dare to say it's UNiX specific.
> >

> Rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_IP_VS_DEBUG, then check the log
> file whether the LVS box "direct route" packets to the HP/UX box
> successfully.

In my opinion it does, but there is something weird going on the
HP-node. I'll look closer to it and provide information as soon as I
understand what its going on. Bad that you are not here to have a closer
look :-)

Thank you very much for your suggestions

Regards

        Roberto