Re: Finally, I got HP/UX-11.00 working with LVS-DR!!!

To: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Finally, I got HP/UX-11.00 working with LVS-DR!!!
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sparks <michael.sparks@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 10:35:55 +0800

Ratz wrote:

> Now I would like to make a proposal (Mostly concerning Wensong).
> During work I wrote a script which does the setup out of one configfile
> and then performs healthchecks (ping, html so far). It automatically
> takes out a server which is down, but ... If you got persistant bindings
> you have this static timeout value of 360 seconds, which can be changed
> on setup, but logically has no use if masq entry is already in use. So
> for normal use 360 seconds is great, but if a server is down, I suddenly
> want to zero the timer. Perhaps I've overseen a new functionality, but I
> would like to have a command to flush the masq time entry (ipchains -L
> -M -vnx) of a dead server. Like ipvsadm -F IP! I can't do it with
> ipchains -M -S # # #! I need an advice.

Let me make some concept a little bit clearly first. That 360 seconds
is the default timeout of persistent connection template. When the
persistent port is used and the first connection from a client arrives,
a persistent template is created with its timeout (the default value is
360 seconds) and a masq entry is created with the MASQERADE_EXPIRE_TCP
timeout (the default is 15 minutes). The following connections will be
assigned to the same server in the lifetime of that persistent
template, masq entries are created with the MASQERADE_EXPIRE_TCP
timeout. So, you can use "ipchains -M -S 300 60 150" to change the
MASQERADE_EXPIRE_TCP, MASQERADE_EXPIRE_TCPFIN and MASQERADE_EXPIRE_UDP
values, then masq entries will be created with 300 seconds, I think
300 seconds is enough for web services.

As regards the dead server problem, I used to remove the masq entry
drastically once its destination server is down (removed from the
server list either by monitoring software or by administrators).
However, Julian suggested me that server may be temporarily down
(the server is removed and then added back in minutes) due to either
overloaded server and bad monitoring software, the LVS is a "bad guy"
to remove the masq drastically, it is good to silently drop the
packets and let those masq entries expire in their own values. I was
persuaded by him and changed it in 0.9.1.

Thanks,

Wensong