Re: LVS and CODA

To: Paul Newman <Paul_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS and CODA
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:22:43 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Paul Newman wrote:

> Has anybody successfully implemented a LVS / CODA mailserver solution,
> is so would you please share some details.

no-one has mentioned it yet, but this would be one of the ways to do mail.
Last time I tried CODA (about 2yrs ago) it wasn't ready for prime time. I
have hopes for inter-mezzo.  Please keep us informed of your progress.

> I have a working LVS squid cache so am familiar with the concepts, I
> also have a 2 node CODA filesystem.

neat

The problem I am facing is how to
> allow anonymous read/write access to the coda servers while
> maintaining a syncronized passwd file to allow the LVS to load balance
> access to the POP3 mail spool files - so far thats not working.
>
> I this isnt viable, how do I syncronize the passwd files to multiple
> POP3 servers (RedHat 6.0) with access to mail spool files on an NFS
> server - rsync ? (or is this a BAD idea)

Ted Pavlic has his /home directories exported to the realservers from a
single fileserver for his LVS mail machine. I assume he's rsync'ing
his passwd files. I don't know whether it's a good or a bad idea,
but there has to be a first step.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx