The new HOWTO confused me...VS-TUN, 2.2.x and the ARP problem

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: The new HOWTO confused me...VS-TUN, 2.2.x and the ARP problem
From: Nick Christopher <nwc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:12:43 -0500
60 pages ... more of a novel then a HOWTO!

Okay so I am confused on the ARP problem....

My setup:
    All machines, director and realservers have 2.2.13 kernels.
    I am using VS-TUN on the director.
    All machines on the same segment.
    All machines have a single NIC.

My question:
    How, *concisely*, do I *most simply* avoid the ARP problem?

My Observations to date:
BH (Before HOWTO) I had ipvs patched kernels on the realservers and was
using device tunl0 (which ifconfig said was NOARP) and that seemed to
work.  And the arp -a said the right thing but....

AH (After HOWTO) I tried device dummy0 rather than tunl0 on same boxes
and everything again seemed to work.

AH I tried device dummy0 on a 2.2.13 box without the ipvs patch and it
just plain didn't answer...though I'm not sure ip tunneling is on in
that kernel.

--
Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
       - Groucho Marx