Re: Problems with FOS (fwd)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems with FOS (fwd)
From: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Problems with FOS
To: ywteh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Teh Yong Wei)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:40:16 -0400 (EDT)

> I have another problem. Now, I have get something clear that. I just
> want to reconfirm again. (Pls correct me if I am wrong)
>
> Here is my lvs.cf
> ===============
[snip - looked fine to my inexpert eyes]

> primary = 10.0.0.41
> service = lvs
> rsh_command = rsh
> backup_active = 1
> backup = 10.0.0.42
> heartbeat = 1
> heartbeat_port = 539
> keepalive = 6
> deadtime = 18
> network = nat
> nat_router = 10.0.1.254 eth1:0
> virtual gretel {
>      active = 1
>      address = 10.0.0.38 eth0:0
>      port = 80
>      load_monitor = uptime
>      scheduler = wrr
>      protocol = tcp
>      server gretel4 {
>          address = 10.0.1.4
>          active = 1
>      }
>      server gretel3 {
>          address = 10.0.1.3
>          active = 1
>          weight = 2
>      }
> }
>
> ===============
> I have a primary node(gretel) and a backup node(greteld) and 2 real
> servers (gretel3 and gretel4). I am running on lvs. When I go to
> 10.0.0.38, I am accessing the page on either gretel3 or gretel4, which
> the gretel is doing the load-balancing, right?

This is correct.

> When I turn off the network connection for gretel (both NIC), the backup
> node (greteld) is take over the load balancing job from gretel, right?

This is correct.

> But, when I plugged it back the 2 NIC to the gretel, the primary node
> (gretel) didn't become active. Indeed, I cannot access the page
> 10.0.0.38 anymore. Why is this happen?

I am not sure.  Can you use tcpdump to watch what is happening>
What does ifconfig show?  Do both gretel and gretelf have the VIP
(10.0.0.38) up?  If so, that is going to be a problem, for sure.
Perhaps when you reconnect gretel, it doesn't realize it failed and it
is just resuming.  I don't have enough experience with Piranha
to know what it does in this case.

This may be the result of having two systems that know they can't
talk to each other, but how do they know which one failed?  In
other words, if gretel can't talk to gretelf, how can gretel know
if that is because something is wrong with gretel or something
is wrong with gretelf?  So gretel just keeps running when it
is reattached - but gretelf is running now too.

How does Piranha deal with this?  Keith?

> But, after I have restarted the
> httpd, only I can access the page 10.0.0.38.

Where are you restarting the httpd?  On gretel?  On gretel3 and gretel4?

--
John Cronin

--
John Cronin