Re: Forwarding a request based on file name not load

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Forwarding a request based on file name not load
From: Atif Ghaffar <atif@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 04:54:30 +0100
Michael E Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Dec 2000, Sean wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to forward request using the Direct Routing method to a server.
> > However I determine which server to send the request to depending on the
> > file it has requested in the HTTP GET not based on it's load. For this I am
>
> Use LVS to balance the load among several servers set up to reverse-proxy
> your real-servers, set up the proxy servers to load-balance to
> real-servers based upon content.
> --

On the LVS servers you can run apache with mod_proxy comiled in, then
redirect traffic with it.
Example

        ProxyPass /files/downloads/ http://internaldownloadserver/ftp/
        ProxyPass /images/ http://internalimagesserver/images/

more on Proxy pass:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/March2000/article147.html

or you can use mod_rewrite, in that case, your REAL servers should be
reachable from the net.

there is also a transparent proxy module for apache
http://www.stevek.com/projects/mod_tproxy/

Merry XMAS

--
Atif Ghaffar