OT: ntpd loses syncronization

To: Linux Virtual Server <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OT: ntpd loses syncronization
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:48:54 -0500
Perhaps this isn't off topic afterall, but I'm running ntpd on my directors. By directors I mean one is the primary and one is the slave waiting in the background for the primary to die so it can takeover.

I have ntpd 4.0.98d (debian potato) installed and after a couple hours of it starting up, it reports to syslog:

Apr 25 16:51:26 load3 ntpd[599]: time reset 0.176641 s
Apr 25 16:51:26 load3 ntpd[599]: synchronisation lost

Is this just an alert letting me know that the machine managed to drift rather far off and it has gone ahead and synced it. Or does that mean it has drifted so far off that it can no longer correct the problem and I'm screwed and need to restart ntpd manually or reboot or some other none automated event needs to take place. Or does it mean I have don't have enough servers (or too many) in my ntp.conf file?

Any response would be great!

Paul J. Baker                               Internet Systems Technician
pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Where2GetIt.com
phone 847-498-0111x234
fax   847-480-7422