Re: help for VS-NAT with firewall functions ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: help for VS-NAT with firewall functions ?
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:41:10 +0200 (METDST)
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Horms wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 07:29:12AM +0200, Alois Treindl wrote:
>
> Your design looks essentially sound to me, though you may want to consider
> moving the RDBMs to a dedicated server. I'm not clear where the NFS server
> is I assume this is to be w1 as well. This to might be better on a
> different box.

I keep this option open depending on load increase.
Currently, a dual CPU 500 Mhz server runs the http service, and
the dbms service. It is now overloaded a lot of the time (load > 30),
but our dbms is not the bottleneck. It is CPU load.
We are really computation bound for most http requests.

For the current load levels I am sure my setup is sufficiently
balanced. Later we can
a) stop http service on 'w1' so that it is only dbms and nfs server
b) move NFS server to a dedicated machine.
I don't expect this to happen before we have N>10 real servers, and this
may never be the case.

> I think the level of help you're after is beyond the scope of an email to a
> list (hence I agree with your subsequent email offering to pay for help).

I will be glad to come back to you for that. What is your direct email
address?

For today I want to wait for a reply from ratz, because he lives only 20
miles from Zurich, so it may be more convenient at some point to work with
him (if he has time and is willing). I had talked to him on the phone
some months ago, when I first planned this system. Now the hardware is
in place, Linux installed and I just need to configure everything.

many thanks for the reply.