Kernel 2.2.19 or 2.4.x better choice for LV-NAT plus firewall?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Kernel 2.2.19 or 2.4.x better choice for LV-NAT plus firewall?
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:54:18 +0200
Joseph:

I would like to ask for your opinion on a particular point
and hope I do not steal too much of your time with it:

I have read a comment of yours in the mailing list, where you
recommend to go for kernel 2.4.x on the director, to save future
updates
on production.
I have to pick my choice between 2.4.4 or 2.2.19.
The essential point for me is that I need to add firewalling to the
director itself - I have no separate firewall box.
I will want to loadbalance only http, and to have other
services (https, ftp) fordwarded directly to a particular realserver.

As I am new to ipchains too, I will have to learn from start how to
do this.
For kernel 2.2.x I found some nice websites which setup firewall
configuration scripts for you, if you are a novice like I am.
I have not seen such tools for iptables and kernel 2.4.x, probably
because
all this is too new. From what I read about iptables, it seems the
more logically designed mechanism.

QUESTION: what would you recommend for me?
kernel 2.2.19 or 2.4.x, for this particular combination of LV-NAT and
firewall in the same box?

Alois