Re: Problems with LVS, Local machines can't get to Virtual IP.

To: Billy Huddleston <billy@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with LVS, Local machines can't get to Virtual IP.
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:43:23 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Billy Huddleston wrote:

> I'm using LVS-NAT not LVS-DR as far as I know...

        More questions after reading the NAT section in the HOWTO?

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.10

        You can't connect to the virtual service when the client
is on the same IP network as the NAT-ed real servers. OTOH, the HOWTO
contains info how to build a working NAT setup on same physical
network while different IP networks are used. For example:

client:
ip add add 172.18.1.2/24 brd + dev eth0
ip route add 198.144.160.0/24 via 172.18.1.1 dev eth0 src 172.18.1.2

lvs:
ip add add 172.18.1.1/24 brd + dev eth0 # DIP
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/send_redirects
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/send_redirects

Now both the client and the real servers talk through the lvs box.
The key in such setups is that the LVS box must translate the packets
in both directions. So, the direct paths (link routes) break this
rule. I assume, in your setup the packets from the real server
hit directly the client without reaching the director. Just check it:

ip route get CLIENT_IP

Is the route through the LVS box (may be your default gateway)?

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>