Re: ldirectord feature request

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ldirectord feature request
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:32:36 +0200
On 2001-06-25T16:45:24,
   Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I'm putting in a feature request for ldirectord, not sure if this is
> necessarily the best place to submit this, but I thought it couldn't hurt.
>
> Right now, when a ldirectord takes a real-server out of the LVS either
> because it couldn't connect to the port or because the the request page
> did not match the required pattern, ldirectord completely removes them
> out of the lvs by I would assume `ipvsadm -d`

Quite.

What you almost certainly want is a way of telling ldirectord to "phase out" a
server by setting its weight to 0 for maintenance.

If a "hard failure" (server unreachable, delivers incorrect data to the
client) occurs, you almost certainly want the server to be gone immediately,
so clients can reconnect to another (correct server).

I can see rare cases where setting the weight to 0 might make sense in the
second case too, but not in general.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl