Re: AW: AW: SSL accelarators and LVS by Peter Baitz

Subject: Re: AW: AW: SSL accelarators and LVS by Peter Baitz
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 06:17:48 -0500
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> My experience shows
> that the user-space model needs many threads just for private keys

private keys are kept in threads rather than in a table?

> to keep the accelerator busy

if there was only one thread, the accelerator would be a bottle neck
or it wouldn't work at all?

> and the rest

of the CPU time?

> is spent for CPU encryption
> and decryption of the data. I don't know if this is true
> for all cards. But even with accelerator, the using of SSL costs 3-4
> times more than just the plain HTTP.

3-4 times the number of CPU cycles?

> My opinion is that this game is
> useful only for cookie persistence. For other cases LVS can be used
> in directors and the accelerators on the real servers - LVS forwards
> TCP(:SSL:HTTP) at L4, the accel is used from user space as usually.

thanks Joe

--
Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,