Re: Routing route

Subject: Re: Routing route
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:21:40 -0500
pb wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It has been my understanding from reading LVS
> documentation, and from out latest internal sniffer
> testing, that the packet-rewriting done by Linux
> Virtual Server works like this:
>
>   ---incoming request---->LVS----->RS
>   <--outgoing reply-------LVS<-----RS

for LVS-NAT only

> and what our latest sniffer trace found is the packet
> outgoing has the IP address of the Real Server (RS)
> but the MAC address of the LVS box.

it's better to call this the director.

I know people call the director the "LVS box"
but it's confusing terminology. The LVS is the whole
system. There is no LVS box.

If the client is receiving packets from the RS's IP
(which presumably is a private IP, eg 192.168.x.x)
then these packets shouldn't be routed. If they
are routed, then the client should issue a tcp reset.

> Additionally,
> we've noted (regarding our email system) that the
> outgoing packets appear to come from the IP address of
> the eth0 device (not the LVS eth0:1 IP address).

I haven't looked at the 2.4.x code but here's the state
for 2.2.x

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html#lvs_nat_src_addr_reply

again your client will issue a tcp reset if it gets a packet
from other than the VIP.

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx