Re: Oracle/MySQL/NFS server failovers

Subject: Re: Oracle/MySQL/NFS server failovers
From: jsc3@xxxxxxx (John Cronin)
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:39:40 -0400
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:05:06PM -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
->
-> ken price wrote:
-> >
-> > Hello everyone!  Another week, another topic!
-> >
-> > I'm looking to provide HA solutions for an NFS server
->
->
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.services.single-port.html#NFS
->
-> There is a whole section of the industry devoted to this,
-> eg Auspex and spin-off company with a name like Network Devices.
->
-> Auspex, which I used to work for nearly went bankrupt trying to do this.

Network Appliance is the big name in the NAS industry.  They also
command a premium price in the NAS industry, but are still cheaper
than SAN.

One company that seems to be picking up momentum is RaidZone.  They
advertise in Linux Journal, and one that sounds promising is the
Gangstor RC8-2, which uses two 2U enclosures with 8 hot swap 160 GB
drives to provide about 1 TB of mirrored NAS storage.  Each enclosure
is alleged to house two 2.0 GHZ Intel P4 Xeons, 1 GB ECC RAM, two
power supplies, one gigabit NIC and one 10/100 NIC.  RaidZone
further alleges NFS, SMB/CIFS and iSCSI support, all for $30,000
per pair.  These things allegedly can do active/active as well.
The whole thing runs Linux 2.4, by the way.

I find it a bit hard to believe, but their other offerings
seem quite reasonable (and less ambitious).

--
John Cronin
mailto: `echo NjsOc3@xxxxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`