Re: TCPSP vs IPVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TCPSP vs IPVS
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:41:59 +0900
On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 10:31:51AM +0800, Aihua Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>   What's the different between
> TCPSP<http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/tcpsp/index.html>
> and IPVS ?
>   I don't find some documents about TCPSP.

TCPSP and IPVS are completely different. I believe there
is a small ammount of documentation on TCPSP in the tarball
provided.

IPVS is an implementation of layer 4 loadbalancing for the Linux Kernel.
That is, it allows you to create virtual services which load
balance traffic to real servers.

TCPSP is ain implementation of TCP socket splicing for the Linux Kernel.
This means that you can open a pair of sockets in user space
and then join them together in the kernel.

For example a daemon that listens for connections from end-users and
then makes a corresponding connection to a real-server. Then after
the connection is set up, the two sockets are spliced and all
further traffic between the sockets is handled by the kernel.
This avoids the kernel to userspace and userspace to kernel coppies
and context switches that are required to handle the sockets
in user space.

In sort, TCPSP may be useful for implementing Layer 7 swiching
where the begining of a connection is handled in user-space
but the remainder of the connection is handled in the kernel.

--
Horms