Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers

Subject: Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers
From: ken <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:06:11 -0400
Please look at the following URL.  This is what I'm trying to setup:
http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/sl-ha-lb-eg.html

This setup only uses 2 machines, acting as both directors and servers in a
Direct Routing setup.  Each machine has it's own, unique real IP.  Per the
instructions on the above website, and per the LVS-DR general howto, each
machine must have the VIP (virtual IP) assigned to the lo device (or any other
device that can be hidden).  At this point, each machine just has it's own
unique RIP on eth0, and the VIP on lo.  Everything is fine so far.  Once I
start Keepalived, or Heartbeat for that matter, the VIP is also assigned to the
public device eth0 on the primary dirctor/server.  At this point, while I can
still ping and connect to services on that machine's RIP, I cannot ping or
connect to the VIP.  If I remove the VIP bound to lo, I can instantly ping and
connect to the VIP bound to eth0 from any client on my LAN.

I've been using a LVS-NAT cluster for about 2-1/2 years, since the VA-Linux 6.2
days, but I've never setup a LVS-DR cluster.  Either I'm missing something in
my setup, or the documentation on Horm's Ultramonkey site is wrong and/or
incomplete as far as this particular setup goes.  As far as I can tell, you
can't have the virtual IP assigned to both the loopback and a public ethernet
device.  What I've had to do is remove the VIP loopback definition whenever the
director/server becomes the primary node, then add it back in if it demotes to
secondary.  This seems to work fine, but seems a bit clumsy since I have to use
a script external to the standard LVS/Keepalived applications.

-Ken