Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers

Subject: Re: LVS-DR where Directors are also Realservers
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:47:24 -0400
ken wrote:

> Please look at the following URL.  This is what I'm trying to setup:
> http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/sl-ha-lb-eg.html

I don't use UltraMonkey, but the principles are the same for standard LVS.

> This setup only uses 2 machines, acting as both directors and servers in a
> Direct Routing setup.  Each machine has it's own, unique real IP.  Per the
> instructions on the above website, and per the LVS-DR general howto, each
> machine must have the VIP (virtual IP) assigned to the lo device (or any other
> device that can be hidden).  At this point, each machine just has it's own
> unique RIP on eth0, and the VIP on lo.  Everything is fine so far.  Once I
> start Keepalived, or Heartbeat for that matter, the VIP is also assigned to
> the
> public device eth0 on the primary dirctor/server.  At this point, while I can
> still ping and connect to services on that machine's RIP, I cannot ping or
> connect to the VIP.

because it's local. You aren't going to change that.

> If I remove the VIP bound to lo, I can instantly ping and
> connect to the VIP bound to eth0 from any client on my LAN.

is the client on the realserver? if so

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#gotchas

> I've been using a LVS-NAT cluster for about 2-1/2 years, since the VA-Linux
> 6.2
> days, but I've never setup a LVS-DR cluster.  Either I'm missing something in
> my setup, or the documentation on Horm's Ultramonkey site is wrong and/or
> incomplete as far as this particular setup goes.  As far as I can tell, you
> can't have the virtual IP assigned to both the loopback and a public ethernet
> device.  What I've had to do is remove the VIP loopback definition whenever
> the
> director/server becomes the primary node, then add it back in if it demotes to
> secondary.  This seems to work fine, but seems a bit clumsy since I have to
> use
> a script external to the standard LVS/Keepalived applications.

I think you'll have to talk to Horms about the UM specific setup.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx