Re: LVS-NAT with public address space

Subject: Re: LVS-NAT with public address space
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:41:02 +0200
Hello,

Unfortunately "quit working after some time" is about the best way to describe it. All software are original RedHat AS 3.0 rpms:

kernel-2.4.21-15.0.2.EL
iptables-1.2.8-12.3
ipvsadm-1.21-9.ipvs108
piranha-0.7.6-1

Fair enough, I believe you; however it does sound kind of unbelieveable considering that you're running a Unix-like system which regarding it's history has a long and violent path of spitting out all kinds of error and warning messages into logfiles.

I have static NAT configured for a particular server using this iptables command:

iptables -v -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 172.28.1.25 -j SNAT --to-source
66.165.220.47

LVS-NAT is configured using the /etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.conf file which appears to be part of the RedHat piranha package.

I see.

When I say "quit working after some time" i mean exactly that. After the firstor boots everything works just fine. After several hours the director ceases to forward packets to the 172.28.1.25 RIP. Things break in both

Hmmm, could you enable debug in the proc-fs after such an incident and send a couple of lines along (max. 30kb), please. Also send a copy of /proc/net/ip_conntrack and /proc/slabinfo. A tcpdump on both physical interfaces would be interesting as well plus the link state and statistical information such as 'ip -s -s link show' and 'ip -s -s route show cache'. Thank you.

directions, LVS processed packets as well as packets processed using the iptables rule. There is nothing in dmesg indicating there is anything wrong.

I reckon there's also no kernel oops in kernlog or whereever RH sends those dumps?

I cannot find any aparent cause, no trigger for this happening.
Also, I cannot get the director to resume forwarding packets to/from the 172.28.1.25 RIP by restarting services, reloading iptables, LVS rules, etc. The only things that makes a difference is a reboot.

That rings a bell however ... what network cards are you using?

The director is in a production environment. So far the timing of these outages hasn't been a"convenient" to do any troubleshooting.

I completely understand. Please provide also your hardware configuration.

In the documentation I read the floating ip address is the ip address that switches between the two directors in a failover configuration. On the

0k, thank you, didn't know that. What documentation would you be referring to?

internal network side of LVS-NAT this would be the default gateway all real servers point to.

Yes.

Correct, but I would like to continue using LVS-NAT, with the directors continuing to be default gateways. Reason for this is the ARP problem and the fact that there are a variety of OSs on the real servers.

I understand, so let's address your initial problem then if you want to. But you have to provide me (us) with more details, especially when this incident happens.

Thank you for your patience,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc