Re: persistence

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: persistence
From: Casey Zacek <cz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:08:53 -0600
Horms wrote (at Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 02:18:31PM +0900):
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:35:30PM -0600, Casey Zacek wrote:
> > I really don't need client ports (or destination ports, for that
> > matter) tracked at all, and it seems like there should be a way to do
> > it this way (which could also save some space..).  For example, load
> > balancing on Riverstone gear allows you to choose a persistence level:
> >
> > tcp    - (client IP:Port -> VIP:Port)
> > ssl    - (client IP -> VIP:Port)
> > sticky - (client IP -> VIP)
> > (there are a few others, but I've never used them)
>
> If you want this kind of sticky behaviour it can be achieved
> using a fwmark virtual service. Or if that doesn't meet your needs,
> by coding up a custom scheduler module.

I don't understand how a fwmark virtual service would help me with a
persistence problem.  For that matter, I don't understand how a custom
scheduler would, either, but perhaps that's because I wouldn't know
where to start with it.

My problem isn't with the original balancing of connections; it's with
the session persistence subsequently failing to be persistent.  I
don't have a problem with the wlc scheduler that I'm using to choose
which RS a client should be hitting.

--
Casey Zacek
Senior Engineer