Re: SSL acceleration for a web farm

Subject: Re: SSL acceleration for a web farm
From: Joe Stump <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:05:30 -0700

Why are you worrying about offloading it?  I would just buy some boxes
with faster CPU's if speed is a concern.  The time it takes to ship
the data back and forth over the bus to the SSL accelerator your processor probably could have taken care of it. Especially if the algorithm uses
all the bell and whistle features todays CPUs have.

I was wondering the same thing - they call it a Random Array of Inexpensive Computers (RAIC) for a reason don't they? I use LVS for two reasons:

1.) Redundancy

2.) Cheap scalability

With the right setup you should be able to simply plug in more SSL servers behind your LVS and this will take care of any SSL related issues you're having. That's what I like about LVS and it's weighting. I could either use 4 dual opterons with 4GB of RAM each or a horde of Pentium II's.

--Joe