Re: LVS with DNS?

Subject: Re: LVS with DNS?
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:58:13 -0400
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Jacob Coby wrote:

I've been reading up on using LVS for DNS and I am wondering what the current consensus is?

There are some people who think you should use the inherent failover of DNS and others who think you should use the failover of LVS. Clearly DNS shouldn't need LVS failover and should be able to handle it itself, but if the first nameserver is hung, you don't get failover. The failover for dhcp when running multiple dhcp servers doesn't work either (also from ISC). The dhcpd mailing list has the same bug being posted for several years and I've just resorted to using a single machine with a powered off backup machine ready to go.

So I'd say that failover for DNS is not going to be fixed anytime real soon now. You're going to have to use something like LVS.

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any special settings to get it working, or do i just need to add a service for tcp/udp port 53?

--
-Jacob

Listingbook Services
jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx