Re: multiple lvs on single interface

Subject: Re: multiple lvs on single interface
From: Muneer <muneerch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:32:28 +0530
On 1/5/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Muneer wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   I want to verify whether LVS supports multiple servers on a single
> > interface?
>
> You can have any number of IPs on the NIC on the outside of
> the director. If this is what you're talking about, then
> yes.
>
> > Just like a sample configuration in given in rfc 2338(VRRP)
> > section 4.2?
>
> don't recall this off the top of my head, but from what
> you're saying next, you have a link layer problem and not an
> IP problem. LVS is IP (admittedly with link layer to the
> realservers for LVS-DR).

Sorry for making such a reference :) . In that configuration, we have
2 routers R1 and R2. R1->10.0.0.1 and R2->10.0.0.2. Both are default
routers. When R1 fails, R2 has to take over the traffic to R1 and when
R2 fails, R1 has to take the traffic to R2. (network is unreachable
only when both routers are down).
If this is not still clear, let me know.

> > I was trying to implement such a configuration in Linux. Problem here
> > is, there may be a situation when the router acts as master for both
> > the virtual routers. Here we have to forward packets whose link layer
> > (MAC) address is VRMAC1 or VRMAC2. But Linux IP is dropping the
> > packets since we don't have an interface with VRPMAC1 and VRMAC2. NIC
> > is receiving the packet and is passing it to ip.
> > I have enabled promiscous mode for the interface and
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is 1
>
> Not sure what your setup is (not knowing rfc 2338 4.2). Is
> your problem that the director is not accepting the packets?

Yes. It is not accepting the packet because of the mismatch in MAC
address.( I am not changing the original NIC address of the director
because I need 2 directors simultaniously. Each instances should
accept packet to a particular MAC)

Thank you for spending your time for me

Regards
Muneer CH