Re: IFL CPU spikes

Subject: Re: IFL CPU spikes
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:19:30 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Ranga Nathan wrote:
> Our operations people tell us that at times (Sunday early morning) they
> are seeing CPU hitting 100% whereas usually it  is under 10%. We have
> three production Linux systems and very minimal workload.
> I would like to know what would be the cause and how to track it.

More than likely your system is doing some weekly admin tasks like log
rotation, stats processing or running the slocate cron job.

Note the time it occurs, and check the running processes at the time - you can
use top in 'Batch mode' and send its' output to a file. This can be left
running, or just run it as an at job prior to the time the CPU kicks off and
let it track the culprit. Then when you get out of bed you can track it down -
beats staying awake!

I doubt it's LVS related.

Graeme