First try to setip not working

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: First try to setip not working
From: Alexander Attarian <alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:39:25 -0800
Hello everyone.
I've been reading all day today how to configure lvs with lvs-dr.
I'll explain my network setup. I have a router with a public IP, and I have three servers with public IPs as well. I have one director and two realservers. The director and the realservers have one nic each, eth0.
On the director I have:
                     eth0:      72.15.219.10 (public IP)
                     eth0:99    72.15.219.11 (public vip)
                     eth0:100   10.3.1.1     (private ip)
gateway: 72.15.219.1

On the realserver I have:
                     eth0:      72.15.219.12   (public ip)
                     lo:0    72.15.219.11   (public vip)
                     eth0:100   10.3.1.2       (private ip)
gateway: 72.15.219.1 Both nics are on the same switch. While I can ping the public IPs from each machine, I cannot ping the private IPs. Does this mean that I cannot ip alias private IPs, if eth0 is a public ip? Is it possible that when I try to ping 10.3.1.2 from the director, it actualy goes to the router because of the gateway? I would think it would find the realserver on the switch. Should I get a second nic for each machine? I need to mix the public and private IPs unfortunately the way our setup is. Any help is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex