Re: all clients disconnect when removing a realserver

Subject: Re: all clients disconnect when removing a realserver
From: "Leon Keijser" <errtu@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:44:04 +0100 (MET)
> Regardless of whether you're using ldirectord, keepalived, or doing
> things manually with ipvsadm; are you removing the realserver from the
> configuration and then restarting/HUPping/sending some signal to the
> application?

Yes. I removed the realserver from the configuration, and then trying to do
anything within the established (terminal server) session.

> Or have you got the director doing health checks which
> then remove the realserver from the pool programatically?

I also have this option enabled yes. You see, i'm in a situation where the
realserver is still working, but might not work correctly later and therefor
it needs to be put out of service. So ldirectord's healthcheck doesn't pick
up on this, as the realserver is (still) performing normally.

> If you restart the director application (which is what I think yoiu're
> doing) then unless you specifically have configured it not to drop the
> LVS tables upon stop (keepalived has this option), all your clients
> will be disconnected as expected. This is because the tables are
> cleared completely, which removes all the persistence and connection
> records and gives you the behaviour you see.

Ldirectord restarts, i think. I've enabled the 'auto reload' option in
ldirectord.cf which automaticly picks up changed i make in ldirectord.cf. Is
this a restart then?

> If the realserver is removed from the pool programatically then the
> only clients affected should be those connected to that realserver.
> There are other issues related to persistence which may need
> addressing, but let's see what it is you're actually doing first before
> following those up.
>
> Graeme

Ach. Now i see what the communication problem is (now that i'm also reading
Dominik's next mail). The subject is wrong. It should be 'all clients
connected to a realserver disconnect upon removal of the realserver'. Not
all clients. My bad :|

Léon