Re: question on faq 4.18

Subject: Re: question on faq 4.18
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:45:35 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Roberto Nibali wrote:

What I would love to see with LVS is the VSR approach and a proper and working imlementation of VRRP or CARP.

Before CARP existed I had hoped to use Alexandre's keepalived as a VRRPd to control failover on a pair of routers running services that I wanted to failover with the routers, eg dhcpd, squid, firewall, but keepalived was too tied to LVS to do it easily.

I knew I could do it with Horms' code. I just wanted to try it with VRRPd. I never revisited the issue when CARP came along. Maybe it can do what I want.

If someone does something with VRRRP/CARP and LVS it would be nice if the VRRP wasn't directly tied to LVS, ie the VRRRP could be used for other failovers as well.

I've just recently set up a 2208 switch using one VSRs and 2 VIRs, doing failover when either the link or the DGW is not reachable anymore. The sexy thing about this setup is that you don't need to fiddle around with arp problems and you don't need to have NAT, so balancing schedulers can get meaningful L7 information.

how do they detect media/gw failure?

(
note: - You aren't allowed to ping - RFC1122

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.dynamic_routing.html#dead_gateway
)

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!