Re: question on faq 4.18

Subject: Re: question on faq 4.18
From: John Schubert <jos100@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:49:21 -0500
A quick search turned up this:

Patent # 6,985,440

 Network address translation using a forwarding agent

Abstract

A system and method are disclosed for specifying network address translation for a set of packets. A first set of instructions is sent to a forwarding agent specifying criteria for designated packets that are designated to undergo network address translation. A matching packet is received from the forwarding agent that matches the specified criteria. A network address translation scheme is determined for the matching packet. A second set of instructions are sent specifying the network address translation scheme for packets associated with the matching packet.

Link to it:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,985,440.WKU.&OS=PN/6,985,440&RS=PN/6,985,440

There is a 10-15 cross referenced in this one if this doesn't fit. Not being an expert in NAT or patents hope this helps :)

-John

Roberto Nibali wrote:
On top of that I believe there is still a patent issue with regard to
VRRP. Cisco is holding it.
Alexandre knew about this and contacted cisco before writing keepalived.
He was reassured that he would have no problems.
The people who wrote CARP apparently weren't convinced.

I remember. Wouldn't it be nice to consolidate it? I know one of the
CARP guys personally, I could ask him.

cisco has the patent on NAT (I believe). Why haven't they asserted it?

Hmm, I think this would be very difficult to assert, or even to file a
patent for. Don't you think that they rather filed a patent for a
specific method of implementing NAT?

They should be able to make mucho $ out of that.

Does anybody know the specific patent no.? So we could check. Someone
with enough time could try:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html
http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-adv.htm

Regards,