Extremely slow director on Centos

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Extremely slow director on Centos
From: Somsak Sriprayoonsakul <somsaks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:07:13 +0700
Hello,
I want to setup a web cluster on Centos 4.2 (RHEL4u2). Somehow benchmark result show that using LVS is extremely slow compared to single machine web server. It can perform only about 100-200 connection/s, while single machine can perform up to 2000/s. The experiment was done using the same machine as single web server and real server of LVS pool. My setup details are below

Hardware Setup
===========
3 nodes web cluster + 1 LVS director
All are using the same Hardware (ACER with P4 3.0GHz + HyperThreading , 1GB memory and on board gigabit ethernet (tg3 module)). Network: 3com 8 ports gigabit switches ( can't remember the model, sorry). The switch should work fine since it has been used in a working compute cluster until yesterday.

Software Setup
==========
Distros: Centos 4.2 (RHEL 4u2), ipvsadm 1.2.1. kernel version 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp
Benchmark tools: WebStone 2.5 using 50 clients on 15 machines.
Networking: All machine has only single ethernet card. All configured with real IP.
LVS: Direct Routing + WLC (I've tried RR but the result is about the same)
Director setup : using iproute2 "ip addr add xx" command
Real server setup: using iproute2 on local loop back "ip addr add xx/32 dev lo scope host". + arp_announce = 2 & arp_ignore = 3, ip_conntrack_max = 262144
Web server: Apache httpd

Am I doing anything wrong? This is the second time that I tried LVS, the first time was many years ago when kernel 2.4 is just came out.

Regards,

Somsak Sriprayoonsakul

Scalable Computing Lab
High Performance Computing and Networking Center
Kasetsart University
ssy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx