failover with large number (say 1024) of VIPs

Subject: failover with large number (say 1024) of VIPs
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:58:40 -0800 (PST)
I just got an offlist message from someone whose machines take 2-3 mins to failover. They bring up 200 VIPs with ifconfig on the director which is assuming the master role (and take them down on the one which is assuming the secondary role). I just ran a loop of 4*254 of `ip addr add ....` followed by `ip addr del ...` which took 10secs in each direction on a 200MHz machine. It seems that any production LVS director would be a faster machine and do 1024 IPs in 2-3 secs. I don't know enough about his system to know why it takes 2-3 mins for 200 IPs.

Do people coordinate the changeover one VIP at a time, or do you let communication drop for 2-3 secs during a scheduled changeover?

Do people bring up their VIPs like this or do you have them up all the time on both directors and run one arp-tables command to unblock them on one machine?

Thanks Joe

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!