Re: spreading users across multiple servers

Subject: Re: spreading users across multiple servers
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:10:30 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Jimm Pratt wrote:

Greetings!

I was pointed to LVS as a means of solving a 'growth' problem I have. Hopefully someone can confirm that LVS is the right tool for the job, and could point me in the right direction from here.

All of the people on this list are replying for free in their spare time. The best we can do on this list is to give solutions to technical problems on setting up and running LVS. I give about 15secs to a posting to decide if I've got something useful to say. The posting has to indicate that the person has analysed the problem to a stage where an answer exists. If they don't know what the problem is, there's no point in replying.

Often when questions like this come up, there are people who are happy to share their experiences, but in general the people who've been working with LVS for years will expect you to have read the docs and know what LVS does before you post. In the time I alot for a reply, I don't have time to figure out whether LVS is best for you - you should pay a consultant to do this if you can't do it yourself.

That said

  |   server 1  |  |   server 2  |  |  server 3   |
     10.0.0.10        10.0.0.11        10.0.0.n

     user 1           user 4           user 7  etc...
     user 2           user 5
     user 3           user 6

LVS will assign users randomly to a machine and should expect the user to wind up on a different machine for each session. This is required for load balancing and so you can failout a machine for maintenance.

If so, please point me towards resources, links, or tutorials on how to set such a beast up.

You have google just like everyone else.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!