Re: Brief Outages...

Subject: Re: Brief Outages...
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:02:38 +0100
Hello

On 29/06/2006 16:49, Just Marc wrote:
Just out of curiosity guys, why are you using ancient kernels? 2.6 is stable by now :)

"Guy", if anything - my posts referred to earlier were from this time last year :)

If you insist, upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel which is probably a year or two NEWER than what you are running.

Time to make that long overdue upgrade,

That's not always possible. At the time I wrote that problem up last year, and the helpful chaps figured out the actual problem with the FTP helper breaking persistence, I had about 10,000 websites in that cluster and couldn't afford downtime. Although saying that I had mitigated it by using keepalived to failover/back between two directors, so I was in a position to reboot the live director at will.

Not everyone has that luxury - and a lot of people seem to be using LVS "out of the box" with whatever distribution they currently use (as seems to be the case with the OP here). Several distributions (which shall remain nameless!) keep their STABLE (oh, there I go) branches aeons behind the bleeding edge for the simple reason that more often than not there just isn't any reason to go there.

The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. Although not in this case, clearly :)

Graeme