Re: Wierd DNS issue....

To: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wierd DNS issue....
Cc: sysadmin <sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Gray <gray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:39:42 -0400
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, John Gray wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's correct.  We are LVS-NAT.  I'll go over the HOWTO again.
>> But this was working fine for months under a 2.4.7 kernel.  This seems
>> to be new with the 2.6.16.20 kernel.
>
> hmm. the name resolution doesn't have anything to do with LVS or the
> kernel. It's all handled by the resolver (which uses the kernel). I
> wouldn't suspect LVS or the kernel initially, Have you changed your
> /etc/hosts, the various resolver files in /etc/*....? Which name(s)
> are not resolved correctly - just the VIP or everything?
>
> Joe

The boxes have to go through the LVS box to talk to outside world.  It
works fine for local names.  Its when they need to talk to outside name
servers that issue happens.

If I had hazard a  guess, I'd say the fact that bind is set to force the
source port set to 53 is part of the problem.

And the problem definitely coincides with the new kernel.   I'm making
some assumptions here, but I *think* the replies to external queries
aren't making back to real server that made request (perhaps its going
to another real server).

The problem is coming and going.  Its not happening right now, so I
can't get any captures.

Thanks,

John

--
John Gray                           gray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475