Re: firewall sandwich load balancing (fwd)

Subject: Re: firewall sandwich load balancing (fwd)
From: David Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Ryan Leathers wrote:

David,

One obvious way to solve this is to DO NAT on the inside load balancer
(LVS-NAT).

If you configured it this way, then return traffic would always go to
the correct load balancer.  Perhaps it is a bit ham-fisted, but it is
quick and simple to build.

the load balancers don't need to NAT to get traffic back to the correct one becouse only one of a pair is active at a time (linux-ha does the job cleanly for this), it's the firewalls that would need to do NAT, and they would need to NAT all the inbound traffic, which would mean that all the webserver logs would show the traffic arriving from the firewall IP addresses, which is not an option.

David Lang

Ryan