Re: ipvs and tcp-connections with IE

Subject: Re: ipvs and tcp-connections with IE
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Sebastiaan Tesink wrote:

Two weeks ago, we were running a 2.6.8-2-686-smp Debian stable kernel,
containing ipvs 1.2.0. We experienced weekly (6 to 8 days) server
crashes,

server = director, realservers?

For this reason we upgraded our kernel to 2.6.16-2-686-smp (containing
ipvs 1.2.1) on Debian stable, which we installed from backports
(http://www.backports.org). There aren't any crashes on these machines
anymore. However, there are two strange things we noticed since this
upgrade. First of all, the number of active connections has increased
dramatically, from 1,200 with a 2.6.8-2-686-smp kernel, to well over
30,000 with the new kernel. We are handling the same amount of traffic.

is this a problem? It could just be that the Debian people have reset the timeouts.

# ipvsadm -L
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
 -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  XXX.net wlc persistent 120
 -> apache1:https                  Route   10     2          0
 -> apache2:https                  Route   10     25         0
 -> apache3:https                  Route   10     14         0
TCP  XXX.net wlc persistent 120
 -> apache1:www                    Route   10     10928       13
 -> apache2:www                    Route   10     11433      6
 -> apache3:www                    Route   10     11764      10

We are using the following IPVS modules:
ip_vs
ip_vs_rr
ip_vs_wlc

Secondly, Internet Explorer users are experiencing problems exactly
since the upgrade to the new ipvs version. With Internet Explorer, an
enormous amount of tcp-connections is opened when visiting a website.

that's Windows for you.

Users are experiencing high loads on their local machines,

user = client?

and crashing
Internet Explorers. With any version of FireFox this is working fine
by the way. Nevertheless, this started exactly since our IPVS upgrade.

I'm not going to be real helpful here. IE asks for lots of connections and ip_vs opens them, but then IE would be asking for the same number of connections if ipvs wasn't in the middle.

What if you run the standard ftp.kernel.org kernel?

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!