Re: Rsync'd file systems

Subject: Re: Rsync'd file systems
From: Neil <prockter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:50:34 +0100
Dan Brown wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out how to deal with this problem for a little
> bit but haven't come up with a good solution.  I run an streamlined high
> availability Ultramonkey 3 LVS with two servers (at the moment).   The
> servers have separate non-shared RAID 1 filesystems which are sync'd every 5
> minutes using rsync.  FTP runs on the server which is the director at the
> time.
>
> The problem is that when people upload or delete things via FTP, it gets
> synched right back five minutes later.  When I have a
> --delete/--delete-after/etc option for rsync on the server that is not the
> active director (and thus not running FTP), it can cause issues when people
> upload data as when they upload it and it ends up on the director server
> first, it gets deleted on the next sync as it's not on the ftp server.  At
> the moment programming sites to copy the file over to the other server would
> be a lot of backpedalling.  Would there be an easier way to do this via
> something like file alteration lists from a FAM or filesystem snoop such as
> tripwire?
>
> _________________________________
> Dan Brown
> zu.com communications inc.
I would avoid doing it.

imho tripwire/pooling is a great waste of cpu and disk access

fam might be an option but there isn't anything polished out their for
your purposes and their may not be anything you can do to avoid clashing
 changes (userA deletes file userB deletes same file then replaces it,
what happens?)

a modified ftp server could be an option, if their were good ones to
recommend

I would go with

some form of shared (resilient) storage.

if you want to experiment/test it on the cheap replace your raid1 with nbd