LVS on FreeBSD vs LVS on Linux

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS on FreeBSD vs LVS on Linux
From: Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:01:35 -0500
Hi,

I'd appreciate your input.

I've been doing research on high availability clustering for database usage and
I'm currently suffering indecision as to which OS I should be using.

What's the current Feature difference between LVS Linux and LVS FreeBSD?

What are your thoughts between: a 100% pf solution on FreeBSD, using LVS on
Linux, a hybrid combination (if that's reasonable) using pf/psync/carp and LVS
on FreeBSD?

What appeals to me about LVS are the sheer number of available load balancing
algorithms and it dynamic feedback system. Contrary to pf where I don't, as
yet, have the experience emulating the same kind of behaviour nor am I keen on
reinventing the wheel. But on the other hand, I love the FreeBSD failover
mechanism of psync, and carp (the retention of state seems so simple and
elegant).

Thank you for your time.

best regards

Robert Bernier